Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tearful Thank-you Note

I mentioned that we entertained a number of seniors and guests on Thanksgiving last Thursday. It was a lot of fun, and was not as much work as it may seem since many people helped. I remain particularly thankful to my partner, my friend "E" who did a lot of the logistical planning this year, and my family who helped orchestrate the transportation, feeding, and entertainment of our guests.

I am receiving a number of hand-written thank-you notes in the mail. It's so sweet, and a custom seldom practiced any more. I've learned from a book that my best friend sent to me that Millennials (young people in their 20s) have an earnest desire to express what's on their mind, so they think nothing of sending an email or a text as soon as possible such as a thank-you text for a job interview. Okay, I understand that better now, and will no longer think poorly of the method of communication and get to the bottom line: what was said.

I digress... I still value written thank-you notes sent in the mail. Doing that shows a level of effort -- it takes work to hand-write a note, prepare an envelope for mailing, and mail it.

I received one such note yesterday that caused both my partner and me to shed tears:
Thank you for persuading me to join you for your Thanksgiving pot-luck supper. At first, I was reluctant, because I didn't know anybody except you, and I wasn't sure how I would feel.

Since my beloved husband died three months ago, this is the first Thanksgiving I have had without him. Our children wanted me to come to spend the holiday with them, but that would mean an airline flight and travel during the most busy period. I just couldn't do that. They seemed to understand, though not seeing them and my grandkids weighed heavily on my mind.

You and your family warmly welcomed me, made me feel at home right away, introduced me to others, and made sure I had plenty to eat. I ended up seated next to [your partner]. He listened to me, held my hand, and was the most empathetic person I have ever met. What a wonderful, thoughtful, caring man he is. You are blessed to have him.

I never felt alone while I was there. I basked in the warm glow of joy when your niece drove me back home. I didn't know a neighbor who lives in the building across the street from me until I met her at your party. We went out to lunch on Friday and had a great time shopping together. What an unanticipated benefit!

Thank you again for all that you do for everyone. I hear from a lot of people about how special you are, how much you are adored and loved, and why you deserve the praise you get from us. While you never asked for money, I have sent a donation to [our local fire department] as a gift in your honor.
Aw shucks... I am still sniffling. Thanks [P], you're pretty special yourself.

Life is short: show those you love that you love them.

No comments: