Sunday, December 6, 2009

Combatting Snow

No, not really. The weather weasels were correct, though, when they told us that we might get our first accumulating snow yesterday.

They made their prognostication on Friday morning. As usual, everyone in the DC area freaked out, and flocked to the grocery stores to buy everything, including the requisite milk, eggs, and diapers (even if they don't have infants at home.)

I had to take two elderly friends grocery shopping early yesterday morning before any snow was falling. I was prepared for a mob at the store, and was pleasantly surprised to see rather light activity. I asked a manager at the store about it, and she said, "just wait... whatever they didn't buy yesterday, they will come back to buy the minute they see a flake of snow." And she was right. I was not surprised to find that many of the store's shelves were picked clean. As we were leaving, it was just beginning to snow, and the cars were queuing up in the parking lot. It never fails.

We were right on the rain/snow line for this minor storm, so what we got was wet goopy gunk. Not good for snowballs, sledding, or making snow hunks. By this morning (8:30am update), there remains a couple inches (5cm) of snow on the ground, but the driveway and sidewalks are clear (we shoveled off the goop yesterday afternoon.)

Oh well, I donned my Wesco Combat Boots with some camo BDUs to combat this fierce event! I went out to feed the critters in the back yard when my partner took this photo. That was about it for my snow adventures. My partner and I spent several happy hours watching the snow fall outside our large windows in our kitchen while we did some more batch cooking. We even made some sugar cookies from scratch. We also began to decorate for Christmas. The snow put me in more of a Christmas spirit.

Life is short: grin and bear it!

No comments: